Transform your excel data into a relational database: Symfony
New to Back-End Development with Symfony?
Have been struggling while searching how to develop the functionality of importing Excel data in your database? No problem!
I did a lot of research to present you, my fellow reader, the cream of the crop, thus, you can save a lot of time, and learn how to import data from an XLSX file to your DataBase with Symfony…
Let’s break the ice :
- Symfony: v4.12.10
- PHP: v7.2.19
To start with :
- Install the phpSpreadSheet in your Symfony project:
composer require phpoffice/phpspreadsheet
2. I’ll assume that you already have a Controller, a user Entity, so all you need to do at first is to import it:
3. Define your route in the Controller:
* @Route("/upload-excel", name="xlsx")
4. Assuming that you have an XLSX file containing a list of users that you want to add to your User table, something like that:
5. Let’s code 💻:
Wondering what is the purpose of each variable?
No worries, I’ll explain it:
- Now, Let’s observe the result in Postman:
- Continuing with code; we will upload the data in our DB:
- Now if we check our User Table we’ll find the data imported from the excel file.
- Check that the person connected and making the request has a “ROLE_ADMIN”
Hope that this will save you time, help you with your project and your learning.
#Ps: I am brand new in Back-End development and it is the first time that I use Symfony to build the back-end of my site.